NakedSQL?

Jamie Nay
Sorry to resurrect a (very) old thread, but I was just searching
through the archives on this very subject - using some manner of SQL
database as a storage medium for NakedMud, rather than plain text
files. My main reason for doing so is because I'm planning a lot of
web/game connectivity, such as using the same account for both the
game and the website, web-based building, maybe some rudimentary
character management, etc.

So, has anyone successfully done this? I'm not sure if Doug Miller is
on the list anymore, but if he is, then I'd be eager to see that MySQL
interaction code. I'm willing to go to the arduous task of writing my
own SQL code (I haven't actually decided whether it'll be MySQL,
PostgreSQL, or SQLite), but in the spirit of open source, if I can
avoid reinventing the wheel...

And hey, since I'm still getting familiar with Naked (a DIKU-family
convert), I'd love to hear any general thoughts on using SQL with the
codebase.

--- In [hidden email], "Doug Miller" <d.orkim@...> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've actually been sitting on a patch that I made to address this very
> issue.  I would have post it earlier but you know how you just get busy.
>
> All that this patch does is replace all the LIST occurrences with
NMLIST.
> You might want to include this anyways by default Geoff.  I found it
a huge
> pain (enough to make a patch anyways) when trying to add a MySQL
module in
> c.
>
> I've not included my mysql.c/mysql.h but I could get these together
as well
> if you need them.
>
> There is a lot of hacking to do in the save/load routines to get
everything
> into MySQL.  And, I do mean a lot.  So much so that it will be a pain to
> integrate new Naked Mud releases back into the modified tree.  Though, I
> really like the SQL back end.  I've got most of everything being
stored to
> the SQL tables now, but I still have a few things to convert.
>
> I also added a few features to the Makefile (just in case they slip
> though).  I've checked the patch file and I think *ONLY* the stuff
for the
> LIST->NMLIST is in there.  If any of my other modifications slipped
through
> I apologize.
>
> I'm going to try attaching the file.  If it doesn't work I can
upload it to
> some site.  Put the file in the main directory (where "src", "lib",
etc are)
> and patch with a "patch -p2 < MySQL.patch"
>
> Best of luck with MySQL and Naked Mud.
>
> Doug

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: NakedSQL?

tristanexmachina
I'm planning on writing a MySQL module sometime in the future when I
need it for the exact same reason. I'll race you to see who can write
it first- promise to share whatever I come up with!

--- In [hidden email], "literaphile" <jamie.nay@...> wrote:

> [...]
Though, I
> > really like the SQL back end.  I've got most of everything being
> stored to
> > the SQL tables now, but I still have a few things to convert.
> >
> > I also added a few features to the Makefile (just in case they
slip
> > though).  I've checked the patch file and I think *ONLY* the stuff
> for the
> > LIST->NMLIST is in there.  If any of my other modifications
slipped
> through
> > I apologize.
> >
> > I'm going to try attaching the file.  If it doesn't work I can
> upload it to
> > some site.  Put the file in the main directory
(where "src", "lib",
> etc are)
> > and patch with a "patch -p2 < MySQL.patch"

Re: Re: NakedSQL?

nihraguk
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: NakedSQL?

Doug Miller-2
Ahoy!

I still linger around from time to time.  I haven't had a lot of development
in recent months but I did successfully move the world/player/help/etc. to a
MySQL backend.  It did require quite a bit of "modifying" (i.e. kinda sloppy
hacking) the c source, but it worked really well.  I wouldn't be adverse to
compiling my changes.  It was based on a release 2 or 3 versions back, so it
might need some updating.  After the holiday weekend (at least here in the
USA) I'll have another look and see how much work it'd be to move the
patches over.

As memory serves, LIST is the biggest pain, as the standard MySQL headers
like to use that in global namespace.  Honestly though, it's been quite a
while.  My intentions were to modify nakedmud enough to allow for stock
mysql headers/code to be used.

But, if there is enough interest, I'm glad to help out where I can.  Or
better yet, provide some SVN access and work collaboratively or similar.

Doug