Exits and how their viewed. Also, buildwalk

Exits and how their viewed. Also, buildwalk

Tim-5-2
Hi all, new admin and new coder here.

I have a question about exits, namely the way that they are displayed
on screen.  Where would I look to get an idea of how to change how
exits are displayed? I've poked around in all the files that seemed
obvious, but couldn't figure out how things are displayed to the user.

My thoughts were creating a seperate type of field that's shown at the
bottom of the rdesc that contains visible exits with less description
than previously given, on a single line that wraps if necessary.
(Exits- north, south, east.
rather than
Exits-
    north
    south
    east )

Any suggestions?

Also, seems the buildwalk command isn't working for me on my copy,
which is unmodified 3.6.  Any one else experiencing this problem, or
know how to fix it?

Thanks!

~Tim

Re: Exits and how their viewed. Also, buildwalk

DaftPun
In src/inform.c there is a function called list_room_exits on line 204. It calls list_one_exit (on line 188) for each exit in the room. You would have to write a new function to get what you want and change list_room_exits to call that, or modify list_room_exits and list_one_exit.

to show you the trace i did to find it, I looked at cmd_inform.py in lib/pymodules and saw that cmd_look called inform.look_at_room. So first i checked inform.py and then src/inform.c

I hope this helps.

Re: Exits and how their viewed. Also, buildwalk

Matt Adcock
It's probably easiest to rewrite the exits display in python. Use the
'look_at_room' hook and loop through room.exnames (or movement.dir_name if
you want to display them in order). To replace the existing exits display
just comment out the call to 'list_room_exits' in 'room_look_hook' in
inform.c

I am fairly sure there isn't a buildwalk command.

-Matt

2008/8/20 Tim <[hidden email]>

>   Hi all, new admin and new coder here.
>
> I have a question about exits, namely the way that they are displayed
> on screen. Where would I look to get an idea of how to change how
> exits are displayed? I've poked around in all the files that seemed
> obvious, but couldn't figure out how things are displayed to the user.
>
> My thoughts were creating a seperate type of field that's shown at the
> bottom of the rdesc that contains visible exits with less description
> than previously given, on a single line that wraps if necessary.
> (Exits- north, south, east.
> rather than
> Exits-
> north
> south
> east )
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also, seems the buildwalk command isn't working for me on my copy,
> which is unmodified 3.6. Any one else experiencing this problem, or
> know how to fix it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> ~Tim

Re: Exits and how their viewed. Also, buildwalk

DaftPun
He probably thought there was because of it being in the help files.

Re: Exits and how their viewed. Also, buildwalk

Tim-5-2
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to do as much in python as I can (C intimidates me more
than a little bit), so I'll try to get this working the way I like by
this method.

And yeah, there's a helpfile for buildwalk, which was why I thought it
existed.

Again, thanks!